It's my birthday!

This morning, I woke up (but still pretended to be sleeping) to a giggling Kaylee and Lacey decorating the house for my birthday. Pink streamers were everywhere along with a "happy birthday" banner and a note signed by everyone taped to my mosquito net. Everyone gave me a sweet birthday greeting, let me go first at breakfast, and thanked God for me in the prayer.

Then we went to the Haven. And I totally forgot it was even my birthday! This morning was a little rough. We were all tired and the toddlers could tell so they all seemed to see how far they could push us today. When it was finally time to change houses, we had a good little heart to heart with Marja. She prayed a really sweet prayer for us and the day just got better from then on.This picture is from a few days ago. This is one of the aunties at Haven 3... in a camp shirt! Love it!This is Bright. He is ridiculous. But he's one of the oldest kids at the Haven and he's trying to be a good helper during our language lessons.This is our beautiful supervisor, Marja- complete with chitange'd baby!

For lunch we had soft tacos with rice and they were FANTASTIC. We all decided we felt like we were at a really good Mexican restaurant and we were totally alright with that. We probably all ate a little too much. This afternoon went by so fast. At Haven 1, I was in the room with the "Lost Boys"- Peter, Jack, Ross Cochran, and Shawn Daggett. For those of you who don't know, Ross and Shawn were named after two men from Searcy who have previously been to Zambia for the HIZ program. Shawn Daggett has been one of my Bible teachers at Harding, and Ross Cochran has been my boss the past two summers! They are great men and it's no onder there are two precious boys here named after them. Those 4 boys are hilarious. They all have goofy little personalities and we all just love them! I had so much fun with them and the afternoon flew by.

When we moved to Haven three, we had a little scare. Sidney, a twin who was TB exposed and a big part of our feeding group, wasn't able to coordinate her breathing and swallowing. Every time the girls who are doing dysphagia this week tried to feed Sidney, she would cough and sputter and choke. Caroline was pretty shaken by it because she knew something was not right. Sidney coughs a lot, but she hasn't been having difficulty eating. Concerns were expressed to the aunties and Sidney was sent to the clinic. We found out at dinner time that Sidney has pneumonia right now and this afternoon during the feeding group she was having an asthma attack. So please keep little Sidney in your prayers this week!

For dinner tonight we had Ramen noodles. They were delish. It was really nice to have something really hot to eat with some broth since we've all had sore throats. Plus it was COLD outside today! Not freezing, but chilly. When dinner was winding down, DT was walking around with his camera being strange and making comments about some weird Zambian traditions. Then they brought a cake out and all sang Happy Birthday to me! Leonard labeled my cake "Happy Birthday cake for you"... so funny. But B Weave said it was the most decorated cake she has ever seen of Leonard's so I should be proud! After cake and ice cream, we came home for a quick round of Zumba. Now we have the rest of the night to relax! Overall, I'd say it's been a pretty decent birthday ;)

posted under , , |

1 comments:

Lowell Pugh said...

Hey, it wasn't Gallo's but that sounds like a pretty great birthday. I am so proud of you and so glad you are having this great experience. Miss you, sweetheart! Facebook me and let me know your skype address and what time, and I'll skype you Saturday. Love, Dad.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a graduate student working to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. I'm in love with my best friend, Jordan. I love cheese. I love elephants. I love reading.

    My Tweets

    Currently Reading

    Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Recent Comments