Zumba in Zambia

*Ok, so the internet is not the best here! Right now I'm just hoping this will post. I started writing this on Thursday afternoon, but the internet is sneaky! I keep missing my opportunity to post.

Yesterday (Wednesday) we had a killer breakfast at our hotel and then headed out to Namwianga from Lusaka. It was a 6 hour drive, but it really didn't seem that bad. It was a lot of fun to just look out the window at the landscape. About half way there, we stopped at a little fast food place called Tooter's. We got there just as two large buses did so the line to get food was out the door. It was crazy, but the workers were super efficient and we had our food (samoosas and chips... aka triangular eggrolls and fries) in no time. After we ate, we drove the rest of the way to Namwianga.

The Namwianga Mission is pretty big and it includes a clinic, George S. Benson College, the Haven, and a few other nifty places like our house where we're living! When we got to our house (the Estes/Binkey house) we dropped our luggage off and headed straight for the Haven. The Haven has 3 different houses for all the babies. When we got to the first one, we were met by Meagan, a girl who has been living and working here for the past four years, and she showed us around each house. The first house is where the babies that are HIV positive and TB positive live. They were all so sweet and one little boy waddled up to me and wanted me to hold him. His name was Kurt and he was such a happy, precious baby! Meagan showed us around the other two houses that were full of sweet, sweet babies. They all remembered the lessons that last year's group taught them and when asked, "Who made you?" They smile and reply, "God did!" in their little accent. So precious! It was hard to say goodbye to the babies and it was only the first day! I feel like it's going to be like Mexico times 10. After coming back to our house and unpacking, we walked over to the Hamby house for dinner. The infamous Leonard cooked us an amazing dinner of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans (which we all know I did not eat), rolls, and chocolate cake. Delicious... We eat our meals on the back porch and the weather is so perfect. It's fantastic! After devouring our food, we headed back to the house since it would be dark soon. When we got back we realized that it was............ 6:30. Seriously. We had no internet and all night to do nothing. At first we were kind of negative about it and all sitting in the living room bumming about having nothing to do. Then we found Caroline (an SLP from Nashville who volunteered to come with us) in the closet with her iPod doing Zumba. We got her to come out to the living room and teach Jaime, Catherine, Meghann, Kaylee, and me. We did it for about an hour and it was so much fun. It was hilarious and I kept making up my own moves if I wasn't getting it. It was quite the workout. The rest of the night we just talked and read and handled a few situations (the "wall" spiders, no electricity or bug nets in Jaime and Sarah's room). We finally went to bed around 11:30. And now we have internet again so I'm going to post this while it's going strong!!

posted under , |

1 comments:

LaBrown said...

What is Zumba?

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a graduate student working to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. I'm in love with my best friend, Jordan. I love cheese. I love elephants. I love reading.

    My Tweets

    Currently Reading

    Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Recent Comments