7 pens, 10 hair ties, 2 machetes.

Today we went into Choma! It’s about a 45 minute drive in Khaki Jackie (our Land Cruiser) with all of us squished sideways in the back. Our first stop was the post office to buy stamps and mail some postcards. After that we went to a little museum about the local arts and crafts. They had a great gift shop where I got quite a few souvenirs and gifts! I am so pumped to give everyone their gifts when I get back. I’m used to kind of the same souvenirs (t-shirts, scarves, magnets, etc.) so I basically love everything I see here! For lunch, B Weave went across the street and ordered each of us half a chicken with fries, plus she bought fresh oranges, cookies, and ketchup! The museum had a big picnic table out front on the lawn so we all sat around it and had our lunch. It was fantastic. I think about every 30 minutes or so, B Weave will ask, “Have I said how much I just LOVE this group?!”

Our group eating our little picnic

The market in Choma was HUGE! It’s tons of little booths set up all in a big chunk so it’s kind of hard to find your way around. Kaylee, Lacey, and I stayed together and decided we really wanted chitenges, bracelets, world cup shirts, and machetes. Every now and then we’d find a booth with chitenges so we all ended up buying a few. We had absolutely no luck with bracelets or world cup shirts. Bummer! We had also had no luck negotiating our purchases. Kaylee was determined no to pay any more money. When we walked out of the market we saw a ton of machetes. So Kaylee and I each picked one up and asked the guy how much. He was selling them for 15,000 kwacha (about $3.50). We both pulled out some pens and asked if we could trade. The guy started talking to his buddies in Tongan and they all started laughing. He grabbed 3 or 4 pens from us and asked for our hair ties. Then he said, “Okay, you can go.” SUCCESS!!Precious little kids. The market is way in the background.

The drive home was much less exciting than the way there. We were all tired and hot from walking in the market. We did stop on the way back at a really nice “fast food” place. They had cold Coke and POPCORN! You know I was happy.Me and Ian were pretty excited about our popcorn!

When we got “home” (which is what we’re all already calling our little house!), Kaylee, Meghann, and I ran for a little bit... not too much since we’re having another Zumba night later! I think we’re supposed to have spaghetti for dinner tonight and we are all excited about that! The internet has been doing a better job ever since last night, but it’s still in and out. Thanks to everyone for reading my blog and leaving me some love!

posted under |

1 comments:

LaBrown said...

How is the food? Have your tried any new foods?

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a graduate student working to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. I'm in love with my best friend, Jordan. I love cheese. I love elephants. I love reading.

    My Tweets

    Currently Reading

    Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Recent Comments