Oh, internet.....


This is my room in the house!

*This is about Thursday:

So I totally felt like I was all good with the whole jet lag thing but then.... this “morning” I woke up and felt completely rested and wide awake. Kaylee was going to wake me up after her shower but light was streaming through the windows so I just went ahead and got up. I got all my shower stuff and headed to the bathroom. I put my contacts in, checked the spider situation (one as big as a silver dollar right next to the cold water knob and one as big as my palm up close to the ceiling)... then I noticed there was no light streaming in through the bathroom window. I thought that was odd since I knew it just had to be morning. I went to get my computer to see what time it was and guess what? It was only 3 am! Unbelievable.

Turns out, just about all of us woke up around 3. Weird.

For breakfast, Leonard made us french toast with homemade syrup and peanut butter. Then we got to go to chapel at the college. It was awesome. I loved singing and praising God with all of them. After it was over, all of the girls wanted to meet us and each one of them shook our hands. They were so sweet. It’s kind of crazy because it’s technically their winter right now so a lot of the girls had on heavy sweaters and big coats. The weather is like in the 70’s so we’re all in t-shirts and they think it’s freezing! Crazy.
This is one of the college girls. They were all so happy and fun to talk with!

Later we headed into town, Kalomo, to change money, check out the market, and get some drinks and snacks. It was such a tiny town and the market was very primitive. But the people were sooo nice! Everyone said “Good morning” to us and they weren’t too obnoxious trying to get us to buy things. I think all of us bought our first chitenges. Chitenges are the pretty pieces of fabric that the women here use for EVERYTHING. Skirts, tying their babies to their backs, wrapping their groceries to put them on their head, and on and on.

When we came back to Namwianga, we all wanted to go to Mrs. Mono. She is a lady that lives two houses down and works on the mission. We knocked on her door and she was so excited to see us. She makes purses, coin pouches, aprons, laptop cases, bags, dresses, basically anything you ask for out of the chitenges. She pulled out all of her pre-made stuff and we went to town! All of us bought numerous things for gifts and for ourselves. Later we changed out purses to use the ones we got from her. We ran into her on the road when we were walking to dinner and she loved that we were already carrying her work. She is a precious woman!

During chapel, they made an announcement that there would be a soccer game at 3 o’ clock. A few of us (mainly Ian, Dr. Tullos’ 12-year-old son) decided to go. We were trying to get connected to the internet for a while so we were a little late going over there. When we showed up at 3:45, there were 2 guys on the field! We thought we might have missed it, but no one else had shown up yet. We waited around and at about 4:45 they started the game. The even asked Ian to play. He was so excited. He ran off the field to give his dad his watch before the game started and said, “This is awesome! I’m about to die!” They were pretty good, but it wasn’t very structured so it wasn’t that exciting to watch. We all ended up taking pictures and talking. Then all of a sudden, Lacey jumped up and ran away screaming. It scared all of us, but it was because a truck drove up that had their missing luggage in it! Lacey basically jumped on the guy driving the truck to give him a big hug because she was so happy. They were all so happy to have their luggage back.

This is a picture I took while we were at the soccer game...
the sky is so fantastic, I can't get over it!

Tonight we did Zumba again! Caroline lead Catherine, Kaylee, Jaime, Sarah, and me for about an hour. We were so hot in our little house that we decided to go outside on the porch to cool off. It just seemed like the perfect place to do an ab workout, so Catherine lead us in 5 minute abs. We all decided that we probably burned more calories by laughing than we did by the actual work out.

The internet has been out all night so this probably won’t be posted until tomorrow :(

*JUST GOT INTERNET!

posted under |

1 comments:

LaBrown said...

Glad the internet service came back up!!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a graduate student working to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. I'm in love with my best friend, Jordan. I love cheese. I love elephants. I love reading.

    My Tweets

    Currently Reading

    Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Recent Comments